Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Monday, March 24, 2008

The end of cheap food, in Kota Bharu


For five days I've been in Kota Bharu to visit my parent in law to celebrate our newborn baby. As early plan, they suppose to visit us at Hospital Putrajaya. But sadly, they couldn't travel all the way from Kota Bharu because of my father in law's condition. Both of them were excited to meet our son.

First time my plane landed on Kota Bharu, I was eager to go to my favorite food stall - Gerai Jaimah Nasi Kukus. After unloading all my stuff at our parent's home, me and wife went to eat at the stall but only to learn that the price has increased 40 sen; from Rm3.50 to Rm3.90. The increase of 11.4% gave a little bit burden for the ones who love to eat Nasi Kukus in Kota Bharu because all the Nasi Kukus Stalls also have been infected.

Beras Siam or Siamese Rice also has increased sharply according to my mother in law. For 25kg of Siamese Rice price only at Rm42 but after the general election, the price chalked up three times in a short period of time. See this table for simple explanation:

Cost of 25kg Siamese rice
Before Election <8th: RM42 ,
After Election >8th Mar: RM55, RM62
As at 23 March 2008:RM67


The rising price was frustrated because me and my wife have planned to bought 25kg of Siamese Rice and bring back to our home. It is one of my methods to save money on groceries and I think it is the best way to save; balik kampong every four month and buy Siamese Rice.

Other foods have increased in Kota Bharu recently:
+Tapai Ubi (Breakfast) - from RM1.00 to RM1.20
+Nasi Lemak - from RM1.00 to RM1.20
+Fried Rice - from RM1.50 to RM2.00

Even though the price increased on most major foods in Kota Bharu, it is still economical compared to foods and groceries in Selangor. I’m still amazed that fresh orange cost me 60 sen when I wandering around at Pasar Malam.

For all I know, the inflation has invaded the land of Kelantan, especially in Kota Bharu. Just don't overspend for unnecessary items or ignore the price hikes- be careful, learn how to fight inflation. Here I suggest my own How I save money.

0 comments:

About This Blog

Tabuxander is a personal blog. It is a journal about my three white pearls:

Pearl #1 - my family.

Pearl #2 - my obsession about technology, gadget and everything in it, especially HTC, iPod Touch, and Linux

Pearl #3 - my experience about selling online via eBay, Bonanzle, and other online websites.


About me

I am tabuxander. Visit my wife's blog to know more about my family

If you like this blog, read my blog post via RSS and if you don't really want to do that, follow me on twitter.

Assume that you really like me instead of my blog, add me as a friend on facebook.

I have items to give them to you, but it cost you money. [via eBay! Malaysia or eBay! US | Bonanzle ]

Recent Blog Posts

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Greenery' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP